Thursday, February 12, 2015

mustard + leaves + pillow


What do you do when you have company coming over and a long list of things to do that are more pressing than sewing random decor items? Why, you disengage your brain and make a pillow. And when I say 'you' I mean me.


See? It needed a blot of mustard yellow just there. In my defense I actually had intended to sew this pillow cover for quite a while now because I ordered the cotton before Christmas specifically for that purpose. A very quick, sew-it-and-be-done-with-it, plain, solid pillow.

After the brain disengagement happened somehow the 'solid' part turned into 'eighteen leaf applique'. I'm not sure how that happened. But I loves it.


It was quick and scruffy looking applique. All on the machine. Cut the leaves from chambray, layed them down with dots of Tacky Glue, zig zagged the edges, and ran a white vein down the middles. The black stems are machine stitched with intentionally wobbly lines and the leaf veins got several back-and-forths of white stitching so they are more visible.

8 comments:

  1. Love it, love the random applique and glad I'm not the only one who gets sidetracked. Creativity is a drug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Aunty Stitches! Yes, I'm continually sidetracked. Actually I think I'm sidetracked more than I stay on track.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely design! That must be the mustard you were going to use on Jess's couch, huh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yes, Grandma G, it needed a splot of yellow too. :-)

      Delete
  3. My favorite way to avoid cleaning! Love how this one turned out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm. Wouldn't that look fabulous in my living room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would? Oh, good. (scribbling 'mustard leaf pillow' on DIY birthday list for Robyn...)

      Delete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!