Thursday, January 9, 2014

handmade gifts 2013, part 3



I hosted a mommy's night out craft party for my local friends in December and we made these paper stars while chatting, laughing, and eating lots of things that were bad for us. We'll have to do that again soon! You can spy mine hanging up as part of my Christmas decor in this post. It was really satisfying to put them together once I got the hang of it, so I made a bunch of them to give to my extended family at our Christmas gathering.

If you would like to make some of your own, I used this Finnish Star tutorial at A Cherry On Top. Modification: I used 1/2 inch x 12 inch strips for my largest stars and loved how airy they looked. I also used this Simple Paper Stars tutorial at Merry Brides. She uses pretty origami paper, and so did I, but I also tried scrapbooking paper (shown above) and it worked great too. I used 6 inch, 4 inch and 3 inch squares for the stars you see above. The 3 inch squares make a nice ornament-sized star.

That sums up the handmade parade for Christmas this year, because you've already seen the Wee Princess Pea ornaments I made for my girls and all the color samples of Snow Birds, which I gave to my mom and sisters at our family Christmas gathering.

What? Oh, yes. Did you think I'd forgotten about the Twelve Days of Christmas ornaments I'm supposed to be making for my dear friend? Due to a creative block and overscheduling I owe her numbers 5, 6 and now 7 and 8. Three of those are sitting in various states of doneness in my sewing box. But I have until April to get those together, so no sweat. Right, Bob? April. EEEEEEEE!

5 comments:

  1. can't wait to see your five golden rings, geese a laying, swans a swimming, maids a milking. I am enchanted by your 12 days of Christmas ornaments, your snowbird and flora pdfs which I purchased, your how to cult felt tutorials, etc. enchanted! can't wait to see Christmas in april.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. purejuice, thanks so much, what a sweet thing to say! Thanks also for your support of my shop! I hope you enjoy the patterns. Fingers crossed that I can get all this done in time for April.

      Delete
  2. Haha, you don't "owe" me anything. I'm not sweating the ornaments, so neither should you. I know you'll get them to me some day. Maybe around the time I churn out a Microcrafts project for you... :/ (eeeeapril!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't tell me that. I need to work under some kind of deadline or we'll both be very old ladies by the time I'm done. And, ooh, you are making me something??

      Delete
  3. Um, well, not currently, but you did ask me to Microcraft something a while back. I'm too busy feeling guilty about my lack of craft productivity to be productive.

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!