Monday, February 28, 2011

new tools


I recently picked up some crafting tools that I've been eyeing for a while. First up these scallop shears, made for fabrics. I can't figure out what brand they are. Possibly Nikken? The logo is so impossibly tiny I'd need a microscope to confirm. The "Made in Japan" part is visible though.

I had quite a time tracking some down for a reasonable cost. I didn't realize how hard to come by scallop shears were and how expensive. The Wise Word from fellow savvy crafters is that Fiskars used to make a mean pair of scallop shears but they are no longer available.

Since I wasn't willing to lie in wait on Ebay until some came available, I picked up these instead from ToolTron. So far, so good. They easily cut perfect scallops in fabric and felt (the felt and fabric are slightly wrinkled in the photo, sorry) and they feel weighty and good in my hand. My mind is crowding all up with the scallopy possibilities.



I also bought these Sizzix paddle punches from etsy. They allow you to punch simple shapes from felt or paper. Tried it on one piece of woven fabric and it didn't work well, but I might need to hone my skillz. I use my husband's manly rubber hammer and a regular cutting mat with them and it seems to work fine. And the whacking is very therapeutic, although it takes a lot more whacks then I anticipated to get a complete cut. The instructions say you must use the Sizzix hammer and mat or you Risk Damaging The Punch. I haven't had that problem so far, but there you go. I live on the edge, man. I live on the edge. Any paddle punch tips?

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I've been wanting a pair of the scallop scissors for quite awhile now. I'll have to go on a search of my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really dig those paddle punches. I have a quilt I have put off making because it needs a bunch of little flowers cut out of wool. That would make it so much less tedious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! I wish I could come over and play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you, thank you - i have been hunting for a pair of fabric grade scalloped scissors for a while now, but haven't been able to find any. perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see what you come up with! The punch that is third from the bottom looks an awful lot like the awake eye for BBB. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubby got me two pair of scallop shears for my birthday a few weeks ago! I love them. I've been stalking them for more than a year now. I wish I had them in time to make cutie valentines this year! next year you can bet I'll be having scalloped felt valentines for sure. And now I'll have to keep my eyes open for those punches too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. those punches are the best...my girlfriend had them and i always thought i needed them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those scissors are so cool! And, boy, those punches will be great for all your pretty, little appliquéd doodads. Very nice, Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those punches are awesome, I'm sure you'll get tons of use out of them! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks, y'all. I do love a new crafty gadget. However far too often I pine for it, I buy it and it just lays there (ie serger). I need to remember to use these things! Pretty sure the scallop shears will get plenty of use, but not sure about the punches. Great to have the option though, for sure. I saw a photo on flickr that recommends that you layer the felt with paper to get a cleaner, quicker cut. I'll have to try that.

    Olivia, hmmm. You are so right.

    PinkSuedeShoe, your husband is quite the MAN for being tuned in enough to know that scallop shears would bring you joy. Where'd you find this guy?

    Bob, I caught myself thinking 'these are almost a little too perfect looking, not sure I like it' when I was whacking out test samples. This is the kind of counter productive thinking that will prevent me from ever being able to produce anything in large numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paddle punch tip: layer newspapers as your base. The cushion allows for the item being punched to have some give below it therefore letting the punch do its thing a little easier. I just got some of these too. For making feathers in the Artful Bird book I bought. Fab tools.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kate, thanks for that! I will definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The paddle punches are new to me and they sound like a great idea. Expensive machines like Cricut are out for me, so something simple like this is much more my style.

    ReplyDelete
  14. fun scissors! i have a pair of fiskars that are an elongated wave. these might be much more fun. wonder if they have diff sizes of scallops? need to go check out those sissix things!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!