Monday, February 21, 2011

do your jeans stretch out?

Mine do. I don't like the baggy saggy feeling of slowly losing my pants, especially on low-rise jeans. Not far to fall, you know. So I added an extra button about an inch to the side of the real button, just to take up some slack when they stretch. I think the extra button looks fine, and when it is in use you can't tell it's an extra. It doesn't pucker the front or anything. I wish the button were a bit bigger to match the original, but I don't wear a lot of stuff tucked in so it is not big issue.

 buttoned at original button.
buttoned at my new Sag-B-Gone button.


This is what I used and they couldn't be easier to attach. "Dungaree Buttons" from my local Wal-Mart. You just put the tack through the back of the waistband and push on the button from the front. No hammer or man-handling required. Be sure not to put it too far away from the original button. You don't want to create an unsightly pucker. Also be sure it's in the right place before you attach it! It's a lot harder to take off than it is to put on.

14 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I extremely dislike the constant hiking-up my pants time, great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just a great idea.
    It looks very funny constantly hiking up a pair of jeans.
    Really something I will try to do on my jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel ya! I hate the feeling by the end of the day that my pants are falling off - although it does make me feel skinny! lol
    I've learned that if you buy jeans with at least 1% spandex, 2 or 3% is even better they do not sag and bag after time but keep their shape. It's been a life saver for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woman, thou art brilliant! I was just thinking the other day how much I hate the fact that my jeans stretch out, especially if I wear them a couple of days in a row (yes, I do that. Denim is tough and it preserves the color longer!). I know what I'm doing today! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately I rarely have issue with my waistband being too big (*coughneedtolayoffthesnackfoodcough*) but this is a great idea.

    and... just last week a coworker was asking me if the button on jeans could be replaced. (I've somehow become the "ask any sewing/mending/craft related question" person at work). I didn't know these buttons existed, although I thought there must be some thing to use. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you! You are a genius!! Hubby is always saying "hike em up!" as I am constantly doing that! Thank you I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great idea! However, every time I see the post title I start singing "Do your ears hang low?" in my head. Was that intentional or is it just me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ha, Olivia, no, that was not my intention. But you're welcome. :-)

    Thanks everybody for the button love. I love it when I can find a quick fix for wardrobe problems. I think I made a hash out of one of my Old Navy shirts just now trying to find a way to ease the shoulder width. So they don't all work out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm surprised no one said anything about GAINING weight. This works for that too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heather, you are so right. But if we don't talk about it, it neeevvver happens. (waving hands in magical way)

    ReplyDelete

Hello. Enough about me. Let's hear from you! If you post a question, I answer with a reply comment, so be sure to click the 'notify me' box as you post your question to receive the answer via email. Thanks!